Sunday, January 26, 2014

Here's to 29!!!

Hello, friends! 

Ok, so my birthday was 2 weeks ago.  That doesn't mean I can't still write about it, yeah?  =0). 

I actually had the pleasure of spending my birthday up in Minneapolis, Minnesota, visiting my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and their new baby boy, who they had on January 10.  It was great spending time with family and being able to help out a little bit around the house.  Meg was a demon in the kitchen, making freezer meals and such.  I was able to help by assisting my brother-in-law in building a shelf in his garage.  Friends, let me tell you, there is nothing like doing construction in -15 degree weather to make you appreciate the indoors. 

Every year, around my birthday, I like to make the next year, "The Year of (insert thing here)."  My friend Sherami started me on that tradition a while back and I liked it enough to make it my own.  Last year was the year of discipline, when I focused on getting my life in order and living a life of discipline.  The year before that it was the year of Go Big or Go Home, which worked out pretty well, considering that I got engaged and married.  The question was what I was going to do for this year. 

This year is going to be the year of "Joy."  As I was reflecting on the past year, one thing I noticed is that I didn't quite have as much joy as I had in previous years.  Between the constant commute between Columbia and St. Louis, the eventual move to St. Louis and all the home renovations that followed, the added responsibility of supervising multiple staff, and the adjustment to the married life, I'd found myself focusing more on the task that had to be done as opposed to finding joy in the life that God had given me.  Being that I am already a super task oriented person, this was an even bigger problem. 

So, this year is going to be a year where I focus on joy, particularly the joy that comes from being secure in the Gospel.  In spite of all the things that are tugging at my time and all the things that need to get done, I am going to focus instead of the blessings that God has given me and find joy in those things.  I have a great job, a wonderful home, and an incredible wife.  I should be able to find joy in those things instead of stress in the tasks that come along with those blessings. 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment