Thursday, November 1, 2012

One Month In!!!

Hello, friends! 

Normally, I would take this time to talk about Large Group last night and how awesome it was.  BUT, since we didn't have Large Group last night on account of Halloween, I guess I'll just have to find something else about which to write.  A popular subject appears to be my wife, so now seems like as good a time as any to write about our first month of marriage.  Our first month of marriage was actually celebrated on Monday but you'll give me a few days grace, right?  =0). 

Now that I've been married for a few weeks, there are a few things that I've noticed about me, about Meg, and about being married.  Here are a few highlights:

- Meg and I share a lot of things in common but we are also REALLY different.  This one may seem like a bit of a no-brainer but as we spend more and more time together, I have noticed more and more things.  She likes to get up early while I prefer to sleep in a bit.  She is super active and gets a little antsy if she doesn't think that she's moved much all day.  I am perfectly content on the couch with a book.  Her idea of quality time is actually doing stuff together.  For me, if we are in the same room and can see each other, it totally counts.  This has led to a number of miscommunications and such but it has also given me a greater appreciation for the gal I call my wife. 

- I am eating a lot better... a LOT better.  If you know two things about Meg and me, it is that Meg likes to cook and I like to eat.  Meg also likes to cook healthy, which is fine by me.  What this means is that instead of eating out a lot, which I did a fair amount, now I am eating lots of delicious home cooked meals.  (For the record, I cook too, but it never tastes as good as what Meg cooks)  There are pros and cons to this.  I (actually, "we") are spending more on groceries but less on fast food.  I am eating better so I am not as inclined to execise as much.  You see, this right here is a double edged sword. 

- For better or worse, I my father's son.  It is the craziest thing.  Apparently I hung around Papa a bit too much because now as a married man, I am doing things very similarly to him.  Meg has noticed it too.  The sibs and I used to joke that I was absolutely the most like Papa.  It appears as though the transformation continues.  Meg finds it funny everytime I catch myself doing something Papa would do and then yelling, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!"  I don't see quite the humor.  =0). 

- A little service goes a long way.  I think that Meg and I have done a good job of trying to serve one another best we can.  She'll cook and I'll do the dishes.  We'll watch her shows but if she knows a game is on then she doesn't mind switching.  Whoever gets up last (usually me) is sure to make the bed.  Honestly, these things are kind of fun.  I like making my wife happy. 

- Jesus requires even MORE intentionality.  In 1Corinthians 7, Paul talks about how the married man has more concerns than that of the single man.  I am absolutely seeing that now.  I would do anything for Meg, which is a good thing, but not when my efforts to serve her mean that I am not being intentional with Jesus.  I think I have been doing a good job of making sure that I stay disciplined but it is definitely different from a month ago. 

So, there you have it.  Being married is awesome.  Here's to many more months of learning like this! 

Have an excellent day! 

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment