Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Thoughts from a proud WashU Alum...

Hello, friends!

One of the things that I've gotten more involved in since I moved to Omaha is WashU's Alumni and Parents Admission Program (APAP). As someone who has grown in his school spirit over the years (Go Bears!!!) it only seems fitting that I give back to the University that has given me so much already.

When I'm talking to potential ministry partners, one line I like to say is that "who you graduate as, for the most part, is who you're going to be for the rest of your life." I know that was true in my life. It was at WashU that:
- I made an adult decision to follow Jesus
- I heard very clearly that I should NOT be going to law school
- I joined InterVarsity
- I found my current career working for InterVarsity
- I cemented my love for the great city of St. Louis
- I made friends that have lasted these 15+ years

My dear alma mater isn't perfect. There are certainly blind spots and looking now, I can see that those blind spots have real consequences. Still, I am a proud WashU bear and one of my college regrets (besides not studying more) was that I didn't develop this deep love for WashU until later in life. Alas, better late than never!

The biggest thing that I get to do with is do informal interviews with students who have applied to WashU. I've done 2 of them already and have another one coming in a few days. I don't have any official capacity to accept or deny someone admission but I do write a report that the admissions department will take into account in their decision making process. I've been instructed to not look at folk with too critical of an eye but instead highlight the strengths I see in applicants.

You know how when you see the course load of college students today (or high school seniors for that matter), you think to yourself, "man, these kids are smart! I don't think I could get into college today if I was competing with these kids!" Well, as I've been doing these interviews, that thought has crossed my mind as well as another one...

I really hope I wasn't as awkward as these kids were when I was 18 (although I know I probably was). =0).

Look, I'm sure these kids are perfectly lovely kids. They seem like good students and are involved at school. Maybe I'm just intimidating as an interviewer and these kids clam up a bit. I just have trouble believing that 18-year-olds are this bad at conversation. Y'all, this is an interview. You would be well served to be able to talk about yourself a little more. It's got to better...

All in all, it's been a really fun experience. I feel reconnected to WashU, I've gone further west in Omaha than I've ever been before (did you know the street numbers go past 200?!?!), and I'm getting to relive some of my favorite college memories.

#GoBears forever...

Have an excellent day!

~Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment